Thursday, July 12, 2007

Swimming

Have just been swimming for the second time today with Matt and Josh. The hotel in Concord, New Hampshire, has a pool. Over the course of an hour this morning, I saw Josh go from being able to do a few strokes while always been within his depth, to jumping into the water over his head and swimming the length of the pool - which, admittedly, isn't very long. He just has this attitude of wanting to keep going at something until he can get it. Not for most things, mind you, but for those he sets his mind on. He just kept swimming, and trying, and stopping and starting again until he could swim the pool.

Tonight, after over an hour in the pool, he was very tired, in at the deep end, swallowing water and going under, but he wouldn't take my hand to help him to the side until he made it himself. I finally got him to let me help him out, then he promptly jumped back in for a final plunge and wouldn't let me help him out.

Sometimes this stubbornness drives me crazy, but I suspect it's mostly a good trait.

No comments: